Rubber Stamp Fail

I bought a “Make Your Own Rubber Stamp” kit. First attempt was a big huge fail, but I kinda fudged a few parts.

For one, apparently Home Depot quilt selling glass because it broke too often. I bought some small pieces of plexi, which I had doubts about, but it was cheap enough, I figured I’d try it. Next, I couldn’t find the light I really needed to expose the polymer.

It says on various sites that you can use a UV light or a blacklight. The “blacklights” at Home Depot are probably more just purple colored lights. No UV lights either. I bought a “plant light” whatever that means thinking maybe it would have some UV in it.

The polymer is supposed to harden after 2 minutes for each side. After about 10 minutes (or more) it was still totally mush, but I was starting to see it hardening very very slightly near the images, so I still have hope.

Also, as I set it up to expose, I realized I totally screwed up the images and forgot to switch them to negatives instead of positives.

So if I am able to fix allllll of these problems, maybe I will get it to work next time. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Japanese Mini Letterpress Cards

Looking around Uguisi, an adorable Japanese stationery site, I found these little lovlies.

From the Kita no Moyo-cho (literally means “pattern book from the North”) letterpress card series, this mini card set in a match box is really adorable! 20 mini cards with blank back side. Made in Japan.

Could you combine all of the things I love into one!? Letterpress, notecards, Japanese stationery, and itty bitty things? Yes please. I will take one of each.

Angie Lewin

While on the subject of printmaking, I wanted to share a wonderful print maker I came across.

Angie Lewin does printmaking,

Inspired by both the clifftops and saltmarshes of the North Norfolk coast and the Scottish Highlands, I depict these contrasting environments and their native flora in wood engraving, linocut, silkscreen, lithograph and collage. These landscapes are often glimpsed through intricately detailed plantforms.

Attracted to the relationships between plant communities on an intimate level, even the fine lines of insect eggs on a flower bud are observed in my work. Still lives often incorporate seedpods, grasses, flints and dried seaweed collected on walking and sketching trips. A Wedgwood cup designed by Ravilious, may contain feathers and seedheads.

Check out these gorgeous prints.

Yellow Rattle Linocut Image size (mm): 517w x 230h - Edition: 50 Mounted print £285.00

Alexanders, Aldeburgh Linocut Image size (mm): 495w x 270h - Edition: 40 NO LONGER AVAILABLE

Winter Spey Wood engraving Image size (mm): 125w x 100h - Edition: 50 NO LONGER AVAILABLE

Salthouse Linocut Image size (mm): 360w x 245h - Edition: 50 NO LONGER AVAILABLE

Beach with Alexanders Wood engraving Image size (mm): 100w x 125h - Edition: 35 NO LONGER AVAILABLE

Printmaking Love and Indian Inspired Floor Cloth

Recently, I discovered my work will allow us up to $1000 for professional development. Because I am in a creative field, my boss decided art classes could be considered professional development. I immediately signed up for a printmaking class at the local art center. I have missed printmaking so much and can barely stand to wait for my class to begin June 9th. I did a lot of printmaking in college, but that’s not to difficult when you have fantastic facilities. Now that I work a regular job and own a house (with lots of chores built in) it’s hard to find the time or the energy to actually do any printmaking, or any making of any kind.

On Fridays during my lunch I go to a pilates lesson. The woman I go to is just down the street from work and has two machines in her home. I meet my mom there and we get a workout and get to catch up too. Recently, she suggested we make a floor cloth for her studio to protect the wood floors in exchange for pilates lessons. I wasn’t entirely on board until I realized we could use silkscreen to make it.

I made the screens at home which was a first for me. At school, I had a fancy-schmancy room with a safe light to coat the screens as well as a scoop that was actually large enough to coat them in one swipe. I also had access to a vacuum sealed exposure table. Not at home. This caused a lot of stress and anxiety as I went through this learning process. Not to mention I was using my hose to clean out the screens and let’s just say, winter weather has stuck around a little late this year.

Fortunately, I did FINALLY get the screens figured out and the floor cloth turned out beautifully. I am completely hooked again on silkscreen and printmaking in general and cannot wait for my class!!

Here are some photos of the floorcloth.